Friday, January 6, 2023

Birds and the Bees


Yesterday, in an unexpected turn of events, I found myself giving the "birds and the bees" talk for the third time in my life.

Here's the story: A friend of mine (a single divorced mom) called me up to see if I could help her out. I said "Sure! What's up?" And then she tells me her dilemma...

The mom felt like she needed to have the "birds and bees" talk with her son, but the son's father is absent at best and totally unreliable at worst. Mom is willing to do the talk, but the son is only open to having this conversation with a guy. And fortunately, I fit that bill!!! 😁✌️

The day comes, and Mom drops off her son with me at the park. I re-introduce myself, and he and I walk laps around the park to talk. I start pontificating about the finer points in life when the clouds form and a light drizzle begins to fall. Then the rain starts to come down in full blown sheets! It is a virtual waterfall by the time we finish!!! As we run back to the car, he and I are dripping wet from head to toe! But we're also laughing and smiling from our sorry soggy state. During our 90 minute stroll, we talked about life, we talked about school, we talked about friends, we talked about sex, and we talked about the best ways to seize his future... I did the majority of the talking as expected, but he was as engaged a pre-teen boy could have been in this circumstance. Imagine as a teen boy being forced to have a sex talk with a adult you don't even know!!! The kid did so great. He was respectful, asked questions, and listened to all my nonsense with zero attitude.

I am grateful for the opportunity and honored to be a part of such a pivotal moment in a young man's development. This fine young man is going to be really somethin' when he grows up. This I'm sure of.

God places you in odd positions sometimes. And you can't always predict what will come your way. Hopefully, my oddball experiences will be able to help shape this young man's life and experiences going forward. That's the goal anyways...

So, I just got off the phone with the mom about an hour ago. And now, she's wondering if I can meet with her son every few months or so. I said "Sure, but only if that's what your son really wants. You better ask him." She replied, "I did ask him! He said he'd like that!!!" 🤯

Wow!!! Who knew??? I guess sometimes pre-teen boys can surprise you! And that's the end of my story. 😁✌️

No comments:

Post a Comment