Friday, June 1, 2018

Crossing Guard Story



Do you guys know your Crossing Guards? Do you know the actual name of the person looking out for your child’s safety everyday at school, rain or shine? Don’t feel bad if you don’t, because until today, I didn’t either…

Our neighborhood Crossing Guard, who can be found most days on the corner of Sherwood and West is Salvador Castillo.

As one of those parents who mindlessly drive by in “insulated car cocoons”, I’ve come to know Salvador only as “The Waving Crossing Guard”. I call him that because EVERY time I see him, he is empahtically waving and smiling at EVERY kid, EVERY passing vehicle, EVERY single day. Most Huntington parents know of him. But did you know that Salvador was a POET? And a PUBLISHED AUTHOR??? Did you also know that Salvador is currently going through an incredibly difficult time in his life, yet he still shows up EVERY morning with a smile on his face to ensure our kids’ safety?

Yeah... So that’s the teaser. And here comes the full story if you so choose to read it:

So, today is the last official day of the school year. And also the day my son Nash graduates from Huntington Middle School. You would think that especially today, I would be more focused on buying a lei or planning a grand celebration dinner. But that just wasn't the case...

This morning, as I dropped Nash off at Huntington for the last time, I once again drove past "The Waving Crossing Guard”. And for some reason, my thoughts went NOT to Nash, the upcoming graduation, or my daily checklist. My thoughts went out to “The Waving Crossguard,” and how much I appreciated his service. My mind also rudely pointed out to me; that for all those years driving by and waving to this man, I don’t even know his name...

So this afternoon for pick-up, I show up a few minutes early, park the car, and make it my mission to personally express my gratitude, and yes... maybe even learn his name.

I park and make a bee line straight for him, trying to reach the man before all the kids let out. I greet him, shake his hand, and give him a hearty “Thank you for all that you do” type of comment. I also bestow upon him a Peet’s gift card from the stash I keep on-hand, surely for occasions such as these. In our conversation, I learn finally, that "The Waving Crossing Guard’s” name is Salvador Castillo. And in that moment in which he tells me his name, he flamboyantly rolls the “R” in Salvador for what seems like 30 seconds. I repeat his name back to him and recite “SalvadoRRRRRRRRRR,” rolling my tongue like it was dripping with queso… With my ridiculous pronunciation, my new friend just laughs and puts his hand reassuringly on my shoulder. And soon, we just end up laughing together...

And as is my nature, he and I begin to talk. He asks me about my kids, and I tell him a few details. But when I ask him about his family, his eyes light up like little LED’s. Salvador cannot physically pull out his phone fast enough to show me pictures of his beautiful wife. And next a picture of his beautiful daughter… Then, he says “Oh! I want to show you something!” And he immediately runs to his car to look for something. After a few seconds, he runs back and hands me this book. He energetically points to the cover, and says “See? My wife.” And there on the cover, is a stunning photo of his wife taken many years ago… As I reverently take the book from his hand, Salvador is simply beaming. The love Salvador has for his wife is palpable...

I didn't notice it right away, but at the bottom of the book cover, there was a name. The name, Salvador Castillo! This is a book of HIS POETRY! I turn to him and exclaim “This is YOU? You wrote this???” “Yes” he says with a wide smile. I mean, the guy writes a book of poetry dedicated to his lovely wife! And then it gets published??? This dude is MY HERO! I then ask if I can buy the book. He says you can find it on Amazon. And it IS on Amazon! I checked! But I wanted this copy, the copy he put into my hands. He says I can have this book for 10 dollars, so I give him 20. It’s in Spanish, I can’t read it, but I don’t care. I’m honored to own it…

As we continue our conversation, the tone gets heavier. Salvador tells me that his wife passed away a few years ago. And that it’s now just him, his daughter, and his grandson. Then he drops it on me…

He tells me, his daughter Leslie,  who is a mere 39 yrs old, suffered a stroke just 2 weeks ago… She had been in the Huntington Hospital for those 2 weeks, but was thankfully released to come home with Salvador a few days ago. He tells me that his daughter’s recovery is slow, but that he has been encouraged with Leslie slowly regaining her ability to speak. But now with his wife gone, his daughter recovering from a stroke, it is up to him to take care of both his daughter, and her 11 yr old son, on his own.

Even with all this going on his life, Salvador continues to show up, smile, wave, and protect our kids from harm.... My heart breaks for him in that moment. And I don’t really care where you fall in religious affiliation, I felt compelled right then and there to take that opportunity to express my concern for him, and pray for Salvador and his family. Once I did that, and encouraging words had been shared, we shake hands and part ways. But as I walk away, I tell him that I will continue to pray for his family and that I will be back to check up on him and his situation.

As I walk away, in literal awe of this man and his grace under fire, I am reminded that NO ONE on this Earth is face-less. That every person here, is a distinct individual with his or her own story, hopes, and dreams. And that Crossing Guards deserve our respect just as much as anyone else.

As a parent, I am constantly drilling into my kids that EVERYONE deserves respect no matter their station in life. That there is no such thing as the random guy, waitress, or bus driver. All are people. Distinct individuals. With distinct faces. And distinct histories. I remind them that EVERY PERSON regardless of their economic status or color of their skin, knows something that you don’t. And if you listen carefully, that person most assuredly has something to teach you…

Today, the crossing guard, Salvador Castillo, taught me well about strength, perseverance, the love of a Father, and the love for a Wife... These gifts, I will accept gladly. In hopes that one day, I might be able to pass these gifts on to my own children.


This story is not over. I will continue to check on Salvador and his family. Cuz at the end of the day, that’s just what friends do...

No comments:

Post a Comment