Thursday, November 16, 2017

5 years and 50


I had my annual check-up today.

And as it's generally gone for the past couple of years, the doctor and I talk more about the weather than we actually do my health. At this point, I think it's very likely that I've taken my good health for granted...

"Hey Betty, how are you? How are the kids?"

"Terrible!" the nurse at the reception desk replies.

"Oh, I'M FINE." she quickly clarifies. "But the kids? TERRIBLE!"

We both laugh. And so it begins... Another year. Another "physical." More discussions about the weather...

I know it's going to be a few minutes, so I plop into the first available chair, and go full "Zombie Mode" on my phone until they call me up. After what seemed to be 20 or so Facebook minutes, Betty is already walking me back. I get weighed in. I get my blood pressure taken, with Betty tallying up all my numbers like I'm some prize cattle at the fair... That's when Dr. Ho decides to make his grand entrance. And like every time before, we greet each other and immediately begin to discuss all things weather. We actually take turns lamenting how hot it's been lately while Dr. Ho nods and gathers up my chart. But eventually the chit chat slows down, and then stops.... From there, I just watch as Dr. Ho proceeds to flip page after page. Each subsequent page flip adding deepening creases and lines to my poor doctor's face...

After what seemed like an eternity, Dr Ho finally remarks, "So, your weight is 167 pounds. Is that correct?"

"Yup" I answer back. "That's what I always seem to weigh these days."

Dr. Ho again starts flipping sheets. "Yeah, but... Hmmm."

"What?" I ask.

"You're 50 now."

"Yup" I answer.

"And you lost over 100 pounds. Correct?"

"Yup."

"And how long has it been since your dramatic weight loss?"

"5 years. So basically since 2012. Why?" I ask. My curiosity piqued.

"I'm looking at your chart and... In 2012, you weighed 167. And once again in 2013, you weighed that exact amount of 167."

Dr. Ho continues to call the numbers out,

"2014: 167
 2015: 167
 2016: 167

And now in 2017: Exactly 167."

"Yup. That sounds about right," obviously clueless as to the point my doctor is trying to make.

Dr. Ho then gives me one of those smiles a parent saves for when chiding a small child... "Considering that you are now Fifty years old. Factor in the considerable amount of weight you lost. And now add the fact that you have not fluctuated even ONE pound in 5 years? Don't you find that kind of... Remarkable?"

*shrug*

"I guess so" I lamely answer...

Dr. Ho laughs out loud. "Well, I find what you've been able to do quite remarkable even though you clearly don't!" And with that, we laugh, shake hands, and end our brief time together...

But as soon as I arrive at my car, I pause and take a moment to digest the information I was just given. "Is what I've been able to achieve truly REMARKABLE?" Inwardly, I groan in protest... But if I want an honest assessment of what I've done and where I've been, I need to stay as objective as possible. So with that, I go to the science...

Do you know what the success rate is for an individual to achieve a significant amount of weight loss, and then keep that weight off for a period of 5 years? I don't even have to look it up. I know it by heart.

It's 5%... Only 5% of people who attempt to lose weight, actually accomplish it, and keep it off for a span of 5 years.

And with that statistic looming over my head, I simply cannot deny that these following statements are indeed true:

*I have successfully lost over 100 pounds.

*I've been able to maintain my weight for a period of 5 Years.

*I am currently 50 years old.

*I am now in a select 5% of people who can actually say they have lost a significant amount of weight and kept it off.

And while membership in the 5% might make some proud. In a lot of ways, it just makes me sad... I know what it feels like to be part of that 95% failure rate. It's not fun, let me tell you... In a perfect world, I just wish everyone could be blessed with the same amount success I've been lucky enough to achieve.

Oh! I forgot!

Toward the end of our appointment, my doctor did ask me one more question. As I was walking out, Dr. Ho leans in furtively, like somehow a spy organization might be listening, "So what are you doing that seemingly everyone else is NOT?"

Good question.



While my approach was certainly different than most, I think the MAIN REASON I've been successful where maybe others haven't is:

I was able to create a healthy lifestyle for me, that I simply LOVE living...

I enjoy every day of my life right now. I enjoy every bite of food I eat. I enjoy being a part of the world and my place in it. I love the fact that at my age, I am more than capable to engage in any FUN or STUPID activity that might come my way. Because of my good health, the world is WIDE OPEN to me. And for that, I am humbled... and eternally grateful.

So where's the Action Step? What can a person do to start their own journey?

*I write this particular section specifically for those who are deep in the struggle as I once was... To those who are suffering, know that I understand... And as YOUR first step, I lovingly implore you to just STOP: Stop beating yourself up. Stop hating your body. Stop saying hateful things to yourself that you would never dare say to another person. Take a ginormous breath, and then exhale. Give yourself the GRACE you truly deserve. Find forgiveness within yourself and for yourself. Learn to Love You. BE the person that's ahead of you, not the person behind. Then... Do something you've always wanted to do. Be silly for no reason. Have fun in ways that make absolutely no sense. Seek out the things in life that will indeed bring you true happiness.*

Look, we all want to lose weight. I get that. But at the end of the day,

This journey is NOT about LOSING WEIGHT. It's about GAINING HEALTH. And ACQUIRING the ability to live out your best life possible... THAT my friends, is what it's all about.

So, for your first Action Step: Start by taking SMALL, PRACTICAL, INTENTIONAL steps toward improving your health. Things like: Going to sleep earlier. Taking a daily walk. Switching from Coke to Water. Playing basketball with friends. It really does matter. It all matters, however small...

Start there.

I can't encourage you enough in this. My heart is brimming with excitement for the rest of your journey...

Picture your best life. Start building it. Invent and Create your new normal. Automate these newly formed habits so you can perform them without thinking or stress. Then just lean into it... Live. Ride. Embrace. Love...

Happy Trails my friends,

Kyle

PS: If you don't know my original story, you can keep scrolling down for my older posts, you can use Google for a few more available links, or use the link provided below for a quick well done video recap. 

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016/01/05/resolution-revolution-find-your-5-foods-to-lose-weight/


1 comment:

  1. Kewl man, thx for sharing the journey! We have to talk about this! It IS pretty remarkable you've been able to maintain your weight and health for this long! Hardly even remember the old Kyle. I got to run some of those 5 n 10k's with you and Howard but right now, I don't think I can even run a 2k. Anyway, lets talk more at cards. Needs some tips etc. Later!

    ReplyDelete