Friday, July 28, 2017

Kindness Matters


I've always believed that KINDNESS MATTERS... But today, I was gently reminded of that lesson. Here's the story:

This is Me and Pilar. Pilar is my friend and pen pal. We're actually Very New pen pals as we've only exchanged one letter apiece. A few Sundays ago, I ran into Pilar and invited her to a Calligraphy class my friend was holding. Pilar was willing, but needed a ride. And of course, I am that guy...

The day finally comes around, and I go to pick up Pilar. She greets me with a warm smile, and beckons me into her tiny apartment. I poke my head in, and all around the room are Pilar's trinkets and treasures. Clearly, my friend surrounds herself with the things she loves...

Pilar smiles at me, and says, "Do you see it???" I actually do not. So I turn toward where she's facing,

then I see it...

And in that moment, my HEART BREAKS... but in a good good way.

In the ONE and ONLY letter I wrote to Pilar, I had also included the most recent family photo of The Wongs...

Sitting right up on Pilar's mantle, next to her beloved trinkets and treasures, was The Wong Family Picture I had sent her.

Pilar had framed it.

She had placed OUR picture upon her mantle, next to all the other things she loves...



I look up with misty eyes, and Pilar is there smiling like a Cheshire Cat. She couldn't wait to show me that...

Life lesson time: If you ever come upon a situation where you think that you wouldn't make a difference, or that random acts of kindness are reserved for Helpful Honda folk, THINK AGAIN.

This one little letter earned me a spot onto Pilar's mantle, and into her life... Love was shared in both directions. Both gifts received. Both gifts cherished...

Wiping my eyes, I give Pilar my next gift. The gift of 3 letters... One Introduction Letter from each of my 3 children. Pilar takes the letters reverently into her hands, and places them upon the mantle as if they were seemingly made of gold...

And in a closing bit of comedy, Pilar then gives me her next gift. Hidden inside a blue gift bag, is a musical instrument of sorts, shaped like a FROG? I express my thanks and ask how it's played. Then she says to me,

"Sing a song."

I'm like, "Really? Right now?" She says, "Right now!"


I set all embarrassment aside and start singing "The Way" by Housefires. And while I'm making a joyful noise, she starts playing "The Frog" right along with me... To have Pilar playing accompaniment on a "frog" and grinning from ear to ear, was Comedy and Beauty all rolled into one. I will always remember that moment...

Pilar will continue to be my friend and pen pal, but every Fire Starts with a Spark.

If I can encourage you in one thing... It would be to Start with the "Spark" of KINDNESS, and I think you'll be surprised by the BLAZE you might ignite. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment