Wednesday, July 12, 2017

That Thing You Do


As parents, we are all looking for that "thing". You know what I'm talking about... That thing. That interest. That sport. That individual passion we all hope our kids develop.

In our quest, we endure each beaten bush. We stand on the sidelines as our kids pick daisies on the soccer field. We sigh as our kid gets hit in the head with yet another tennis ball... But sometimes,

Lightning Does Strike.

From out of the blue, that morning will come. When your kid wakes up before you do, makes her own breakfast AND lunch, and tells YOU, "Hurry up! We are going to be late!"

Take heart parents.

It does happen. Lightning does strike. Not always, but when it does... Man, is it GLORIOUS!

For McKenna, that "thing" is Theatre.



She just loves it... She's been a part of a few productions now, and with every performance, her confidence grows.

And because I'm her parent, I think it's OK to say this: McKenna at this point, is not the most talented actress, nor the most gifted singer in the class.

She isn't. She knows it. And she doesn't care.

In a recent conversation I've had with her, McKenna shared with me how excited she was for Middle School. Because in the fall, she would have the opportunity to audition for the school play. I tried to temper her expectations, saying that it might be tough for her to get a good part as a incoming 6th grader. But then she just smiles at me and says this:

"Oh, I don't care Daddy. I just want to be a PART OF IT. If I don't get a part or make the ensemble, then I will join the crew. And if I don't make crew, I will just help build sets. Dad, I just love being a PART OF IT."

I'm misting up as I type this, because THAT is my girl right there. She is more about community than accolades. More about togetherness than spotlights... Last weekend, McKenna was a PART of her cast family as Ethel P. in Thoroughly Modern Millie.


As a "Thoroughly" biased parent, I thought she was spectacular...

As I told her so, McKenna just shrugs... She doesn't care.

She is just happy to be PART OF IT.

My McKenna has found her "thing". Well, for now at least...


No comments:

Post a Comment