Friday, July 7, 2017

Re-Inventing Furniture: One Piece At A Time


I've been quite busy lately. 

But no matter how busy I get, I will ALWAYS find time to do the things I love... 

And clearly, one of the "things" I love... is seeking out neglected and forlorn furniture, and giving them a new lease on life. 

I refer to this process as "Re-Inventing furniture: One piece at a time."

A few months back, I bought 4 iron and glass Mid-Century end tables at a local estate sale not far from my house. The faded and chipping paint on the bases were what I can only describe as Grapefruit? Well anyways, after weeks of deliberation, design, and sweat equity, I have completed this project. You be the judge, but I like to think that I've done an adequate job reviving these pieces...

The "Design Goal" with these tables was to bring them up to date and into the new modern era. But I also wanted to bring a natural element to the design. I eventually chose to go with wood, however, instead of one solid piece of wood, I decided to go with various planks in a patterned design.

Originally a set of 4, I decided to split the 4 into 2 sets of 2. One being a White set, and one being a Black set. Each table is unique, however the White pair was intended to go together as a set, while as the Black pair is much better suited individually...


Let's look at the White set first...

This is White #1


And White #2

The White Set


Now the Black set...



Black #1

Black #2

The Black Set

And now all together...






In order to assess where we are, let's take a peek at what these tables used to be and the process involved in bringing these tables back to life.

Set of 4 iron and glass tables in a "Grapefruit Yellow"









So that's really about it... 

Overall, I think the Re-Invention of these Mid-Century end tables turned out way better than I could have expected. It was a lot of fun to do, and it was not a difficult job at all. If I find more of these tables, I just might make more just for the fun of it... At the end of the day,  I'm just glad the vision I had for these came together. On to the next project...






No comments:

Post a Comment